Thursday, August 30, 2012

Spring in Otago

I'll admit I had originally planned on spending a couple hours tonight typing about bone eating worms and their impact on the fossil record, but I came down with a fairly severe headache this afternoon that is still fairly intense. Instead, I'll leave you with a couple of pretty pictures from outside my office.
 While all of you folks in the northern hemisphere have been enjoying your summer, my wife and I have completed our 10th straight month of winter - just as spring was starting in the US we flew down here, just as winter was beginning again in the south. This winter was nothing compared to the nastiness we left behind in Montana, but it is a bit of a bummer not really being able to go outside in a t-shirt and shorts for nearly a year (not that it stops kiwis, who will walk to campus in shorts and barefoot as long as its not raining and at least a few degrees above freezing).

This beautiful magnolia tree started blooming last week; it has got to be one of the prettiest plants I've ever seen before. I hope the flowers last more than a few days or so.

No comments: